Thursday, January 27, 2011

38 days until new life: Letter #3

Dear Baby Girl,

Even though it’s a Thursday and I don’t have to wake up before the sun rises to get ready to coach the swimmers, I chose to get up early with Daddy at 5:50am. Daddy went to the grocery store last night before bed to buy some bananas for the special breakfast I wanted to make this morning. So we ended up getting to bed about 1 hour later than usual. (Another reason for the late bedtime was that Daddy was keeping track of the San Diego State-BYU basketball game, which is like the equivalent of Duke playing Carolina, just in a much less prestigious conference.) I warned Daddy to not push the snooze button more than 1 time in the morning, otherwise I wasn’t going to make him the special, yummy breakfast I had planned. He said, “you’re a meanie pie!” and I just giggled, knowing that he knew I was just joking and that I’d make him that special breakfast regardless of the time he finally got out of bed! You should know by now that Mommy is a “morning person” while Daddy is definitely not! It makes me wonder what you will be? Will you be a morning person or a “night owl” like your Daddy?

So I made chocolate chip banana pancakes this morning for all of us. They came out delicious. I imagine that you are eating them right about now and enjoying the sugar high from the chocolate and the syrup! Here is a picture of your Daddy eating breakfast. Notice that his eyes are still only halfway open, which is further proof of what I said earlier about him definitely being NOT a morning person!

And here is a picture of me eating my pancakes. Yes, I’m still in my pajamas! They are the most comfortable clothes I have right now! Actually, they’re not my pajamas. They belong to Daddy. I would never buy myself pajamas that had footballs on them! Look at my eyes in this picture – they are wide open, unlike Daddy’s eyes! I love being a morning person because it means that I can get up early and do special things for my family like cook banana pancakes! Although I don’t do it very often, I can stay up late, if required. Like 2 weeks ago, I stayed up until 2am making split pea & ham soup that Daddy could take to work and share with his co-workers the next day. I sure did sleep in late after such a late night.

I can’t wait until you’re born and old enough to start eating some solid foods. Like most babies do, you’ll start off eating things like Gerber cereal, Yo-Baby yogurt, bananas, Cheerios and mushy, home-cooked squash. Mmmm. But at some point, we’ll start to give you more “complicated” foods like pancakes! And whole pork chops to gnaw on! My Mom tells me that when I was just barely 12 months old, I ate a whole pork chop for dinner one time, and then demanded a second helping!

The song I’m listening to right now is called “Banana Pancakes” and is sung by Jack Johnson. Here are some of the lyrics:

“Waking up too early
Maybe we could sleep in
I’ll make you banana pancakes
Pretend like it’s the weekend now”

Yes – I woke up too early today. No – I didn’t sleep in. Yes – I made you, me and Daddy banana pancakes. And No – we can’t pretend it’s the weekend because it’s Thursday, and Daddy goes to work on Thursdays.

So today, it’s just me and you, baby. Well, it’ll be us and the dogs…until Daddy gets home at 7pm.

38 more days until you’re due to be born. I can’t wait. I’m so excited.

I love you Baby Girl!
Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. That is funny that you are listening to Jack Johnson' Banana Pancakes. I just put a link up to a youtube video of it. Thanks again for getting up and making pancakes, they were a great start to my morning!

    ReplyDelete